3 SQUARE strives to change lives by providing supplemental nutritious food for children at risk of going hungry over weekends during the school year
52% of Stamford students are eligible for free and reduced priced meals
In Connecticut, nearly one child in five is hungry or food insecure and does not get enough food outside of the free meal programs provided by the public schools. United Jewish Federation of Greater Stamford, New Canaan and Darien joins other programs throughout the country to do something about this situation that is in our own backyards.
3 SQUARE will provide elementary school-aged children identified as “in need” with a bag of food each Friday to sustain them through the weekend. Most of these children are chronically hungry and don’t have regular access to food. UJF works with school social workers to identify those in need.
The bags, designed to discreetly tuck into backpacks, will contain a variety of foods. Food provided may include: shelf-stable milk and cheese, dried fruits, granola bars, beans, soups, fruit and pudding cups, beef jerky, cereal, juice boxes, tuna, and crackers.
Teachers and schools
have reported improvements
in test scores, positive behavioral
gains and increased attendance
with proper nutrition.
OUR PROGRAM RUNS ON TEAMWORK
1. Volunteers purchase food with money that is contributed to 3 SQUARE.
2. Teams of volunteers meet weekly to shop, bag and deliver food to community schools. For some children, two days off from school means two days of going hungry.
3. Volunteers can also run food drives, donate food and/or funds to 3 SQUARE and help raise much needed funding.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
1. Give generously. Donations go directly to procuring the contents for the bags of food.
SPONSOR A CHILD
For just $200 a year we can feed one child every weekend for the entire school year.
2. Volunteer your time. Work that needs to be done includes shopping, organizing and taking stock of the food pantry, packing food for distribution, and weekly delivery of food bags to schools.
We politely request that you attend a training session before you sign up to volunteer. Please email Judy Weinberg, at Judy@ujf.org or 203-321-1373 ext. 104 to find out when the next training session is. There are other ways to volunteer for 3 Square: fundraising, running a food drive or making a donation, all make a meaningful difference in the lives of hungry children.
3 SQUARE is seeking corporate sponsors to help provide food for children facing hunger in their homes. Feeding children is an ideal way for businesses to participate in their communities and support a very worthy cause. To learn more about this charitable opportunity, please contact Diane Sloyer, DianeSloyer@ujf.org, 203.321.1373 x105